Monday, March 02, 2009

The Addington

The 7th features fantastic bunkering around the angled green, and a beautiful location



The par four 9th calls for both the drive and approach to carry a heather-filled ravine

230 yards to home on the all-world 13th: brilliant bunkering, a wild green... it has it all

The 16th doesn't need bunkering to make it stand out, the dramatic greensite does it all

Course name: The Addington
Location: Croydon, Surrey
Four Word Course Review: Devilish holes, heavenly setting

If a course were rated only on its best 12 holes, I would suggest that The Addington would be world top 50 material.

After five holes I was underwhelmed. Only the long par third 3rd had really done anything for me and I was waiting for "it" to happen. Then 6-17 came and swept me off my feet with some of the most spectacular, terrifying and teasing holes I have ever played.

I had to play some of the best golf I had in me and think my way around like never before to post a 79 off the stick. A really satisfying round. I generally find if I can remember all 18 holes after a round at a new course, it's a pretty solid track. Every hole at The Addington is vivid in my mind, not just the great ones.

I'd read that The Addington's set of six par 3s was amazing, and the fuss is certainly worthy. It's fair, in my mind, to have three measuring over 195 yards (195, 210, 230) because you also get three under 160 yards (160, 150, 136). The 7th, 11th and 17th stood out for me as a fantastic supporting cast to the world-famous 13th - 230 yards over a gorge - one I won't ever forget.

For sheer theatre is was marvellous, just an absolute brute hole, not much subtlety!

The par fives were also quite short for modern standards, but were far from simple. I really rate that in a hole. The 12th and 16th especially were not much more than driver/3 hybrid for me, but are as far from an easy par as you could get.

The blind tee shot on the 8th - a 420-odd yard par 4 - is probably as daunting a shot as I have faced. Having now played it I'd probably be more relaxed knowing the fairway is wider than it appears (same goes for the 9th), but still a magic shot and a hell of a golf hole.

The famous par five 12th lived up to my expectations. What an amazing hole. I benefited from the fact they have just replanted the heather on the first part of the downslope and found the flat portion of fairway. I thought it was great on the blind tee shots that the suggested line was mowed through the heather, so you weren't totally blind, and it removed the need for an ugly indicator pole.

The approach to the 16th green was also amazing. From 200 yards out the severe drop-off to the right is not nearly so evident, which helps to lure the golfer who has flushed their drive into going for it in two, with a bank of heather to the left.

It's such great design that brings both birdie and bogey very much into play without the use of sand. I had a dash, ended up down that hill to the right and didn't take another breath until I had managed to scramble a par... at least it felt that way.

Update - 24/4/09 I was fortunate enough yesterday to head back to The Addington for a second look. I must admit to being too harsh on the opening stretch after my first game.

Perhaps it was the grandeur of what followed that helped me form that disappointed opinion, but having had another look, 2, 4 and 5 are really strong holes in their own right.

3 comments:

  1. hey, nice blog! keep it up... I look forward to reading more posts from around the UK and beyond!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Scott,
    Regarding your roadtrip in America for the fall of next year I would strongly second the advice of the guy who suggested flying in to Toronto and then drive down to NYC via Maine/Boston and then down along the eastern seaboard. Skip Florida. Make sure to include Santa Fe (I haven´t been there but I will be in June this year and I have done plenty of research), Grand Canyon and Sedona (I havs been there). Fly from PHX to Seattle and southbound from there. Do NOT miss Bandon. I´m from Sweden and have been to the US many times on weeklong trips but never for an extended drive through the country. I envy you. Good luck!
    Hans Berntson
    Stockholm, Sweden

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this course for 3 seasons but until fairway watering is installed I will avoid it in Summer when several of the holes become 'silly'. I don't mind fairways that reward a drive being shaped but baulk at HAVING to drive into the rough (indeed nearly into the trees) on one side of the fairway to avoid rolling into the trees on the other asis required on the 5th!

    That criticism (and my dislike of par 3 starts) apart, I'm always impressed with Abercromby's effort and the greens are generally in top notch condition and seriously fast.

    ReplyDelete