Monday, February 23, 2009

Prince's

Course name: Prince's Golf Club
Location: Sandwich Bay, Kent, UK
Four Word Course Review: Slightly hot and cold

I played all 27 at Prince's today. It was a good day for links golf, with a gentle northerly/nor-wester gathering pace as the day wore on.

All in all, I think there are some great holes at Prince's - Dunes 1, 5, 6 and 8; Shore 3, 5, 6 and 9; Himalayas 2, 4, 7. I didn't much like the Himalayas, sort of a mix of characters that didn't feel like it gelled.

Pity too that the post-war reconstruction that saw the original "Himalaya" bunkers ignored has not been amended.

By shifting the 8th to a dogleg right, the 9th could play from the 8th green site over those bunkers in the dune, kinking left to allow the current approach angle into the existing green.

It would be an exciting hole that would help to earn the course some attention, in my opinion.

I really enjoyed the Dunes and Shore nines, and thought the bunkering was a bit all over the shop - plenty of them in places that just were not in play and other areas that are screaming for a trap. That one factor if improved would make a HUGE difference!

The playing surfaces were top notch, though it scared me a bit that my playing partner, a member, pointed out that in summer a lot of balls are lost just a metre or so off the fairway as the rough grows and creeps in! I thought the level of difficulty/punishment today was fair. I think I could get very frustrated playing it in summer.

I'd be interested in seeing Dunes/Shore again, played back to back as an 18 hole course.

No comments:

Post a Comment